Condes course setting
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Marked route to the start triangle

Posted by Greg Hawthorne 
Marked route to the start triangle
January 25, 2018 03:09AM
As currently implemented, the marked route doesn't appear on the map unless the distance from the map issue point to the start triangle is around 100 metres, and only the map issue symbol appears. When the marked route symbol does appear, it stops short of the start triangle (the example in ISOM 2017 shows it touching the start triangle). Could the option be changed so that the map issue point symbol and the marked route are considered as a single object that could be moved as required to improve cartographic representation, even though technically incorrect?

Alternatively, could the "Show in control description" option be selected independently of the "Marked route from time start" option being selected?
Finn Arildsen
Re: Marked route to the start triangle
January 25, 2018 11:48AM
The implementation of the "marked route from time start" has not yet been updated to follow the ISOM 2017 spec; it is the same implementation that has existed for a number of years.

In general, there are a number of aspects related to the new ISOM that has not been implemented. Partly because I wanted to await the ISSOM update, as currently there are a number of discrepancies between ISOM and ISSOM, which will be addressed by the ISSOM update.
The plan is to provide a more intuitive way to configure dimensions and appearance of course overprint symbols.

So for the marked route from time start, the current implementation is that the route (dashed line) ends at a distance from the triangle centre, equal to the radius of a circle incribing the triangle. The reason that you see only the map issue point is that is within this distance of the centre of the triangle. The option to "show in control description" does not have any effect on whether the route line is shown on the map.

One thing that I'm missing in the ISOM spec is a text to state the use of the marked route from time start is OPTIONAL. There is no requirement to use it, and I believe it should be used only when it adds value. If the map issue point is close to the centre of the triangle, there is hardly any need to show the marked route and the map issue point; in most cases it would be obvious in reality. Likewise, I am missing the point in showing any marked route BEFORE the map issue point,

I'll certainly include in the update that the marked route is extended to touch the triangle, and I'll make sure that the dimensions are correct.

• No file can be larger than 62.5 MB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator