Condes course setting
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Condes Will Not Run

Posted by Alan P 
Condes Will Not Run
July 12, 2017 12:21AM
Hi,

I'm trying to install and run Condes on a 6/7 year-old Windows 7 laptop. Condes installs fine, but will not run, throwing up the dreaded "Error: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item".

I have administrator privileges and can access all files in the Program Files/Condes folder.

I've done a lot of cleaning out and have installed a couple of other programs, which run fine.

Any suggestions?

Alan P
Finn Arildsen
Re: Condes Will Not Run
July 12, 2017 10:38AM
Hi Alan

It's not a problem I have encountered before.

It's not clear if Windows refuses to start Condes, or it is during Condes initialization that there is a file or resource that Condes cannot access and therefore closes down. Do you see a Condes Window or does the error message come already before

Finn
July 12, 2017 01:43PM
The Windows error box appears first, with no evidence that Condes has started.

Not sure if this is relevant: Multiple attempts were made - install, try to run, un-install, re-install,... I used CCleaner to remove traces of these installations.

Alan.
Finn Arildsen
July 12, 2017 01:51PM
OK. It looks like Windows won't allow Condes to start.

It would be interesting to understand if it is the Start Menu shortcut that fails, or it is the actual application that Windows won't start.

If you use Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Condes 9 - then double click on the wcondes application file (wcondes.exe) If the same error message occurs, then it is the application that cannot be started.

One cause could be that anti-virus software slays the application when loading it, but usually anti-virus would give a warning that indicates that it was the cause. It HAS happened, though, that anti-virus has not shown a warning.

You could try to disable anti-virus and see if it does any difference.

Finn
July 12, 2017 04:06PM

If you use Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Condes 9 - then double click on the wcondes application file (wcondes.exe) If the same error message occurs, then it is the application that cannot be started.

We had already tried this without success.

One cause could be that anti-virus software slays the application when loading it, but usually anti-virus would give a warning that indicates that it was the cause. It HAS happened, though, that anti-virus has not shown a warning.

You could try to disable anti-virus and see if it does any difference.

... and this. Again no success.

I'm thinking that a re-install of Windows 7 may be the best thing to do since the machine will only be used with Condes.

Alan.
Finn Arildsen
July 12, 2017 04:16PM
I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas.

Microsoft has this advice:
[support.microsoft.com]

I'm not sure it adds anything you haven't tried yet.

Finn
Alan P
July 12, 2017 10:22PM
Hi Finn
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas.

Yes, it's a weird one. But thanks anyway.

> Microsoft has this advice:
> [support.microsoft.com]
>
> I'm not sure it adds anything you haven't tried
> yet.

The first site I visited, but nothing helped. Looks like the clean install of Windows 7 is the answer.

Alan.
July 26, 2017 03:31PM
I wrote:

> Looks like the clean install of Windows 7 is the
> answer.
>
> Alan.

Yes. A clean install and Condes is running happily. smiling smiley
Finn Arildsen
July 26, 2017 04:59PM
Hi Alan

I'm pleased to hear that it helped to reinstall Windows 7.

That means you can return to planning courses instead of dealing with Windows issues. smiling smiley

FInn
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • No file can be larger than 4.88 MB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator