Condes course setting
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Butterfly

Posted by Johan Hallgren 
Butterfly
January 10, 2015 07:16PM
Hello,

How could I best do a bytterfly like the track at the following link (http://www.tulospalvelu.fi/gps/20140905H21/)?

I think the runner change map at control 7/11.

Thanks in advance!

/johan
Finn Arildsen
Re: Butterfly
January 11, 2015 05:19PM
Hello Johan

I think the loop type that is shown on the course that you link to is what is sometimes referred to as a "diamond".

There are different types of loops used to "split" runners that have caught each other on the course and may be following each other.

In a "butterfly" you have a common control with two or more loops of controls. You enter at the common control and exit at the common control, so the course looks like a butterfly. Runners then take the loops in different order. For example runner A will take the controls in order ... - 31 - 32 - 33 - 31 -34 - 35 - 31 - ... and runner B will take controls in order ... - 31 - 34 - 35 - 31 - 32 -33 -31 - ...

In a "diamond" there are not one but two common controls, one at the "entry" to the diamond, and one at the "exit" from the diamond, and three branches of controls connecting the two. So from the entry control you take one branch and go to the exit control, take another branch going back to the entry control, and finally the last branch to the exit control, from where you continue on the course.
So, if 31 is the entry control and 32 is the exit control, then runner A will take the controls in this order ... - 31 - 33 - 34 - 32 - 35 - 36 - 31 - 37 - 38 - 32 - ... and runner B will take this order ... - 31 - 37 - 38 - 32 -35 - 36 - 31 - 33 - 34 - 32 - ...

Condes 9 currently has support for creating butterflies, called "loops". By using the Course window (use the menu Course / Edit course or simply double click on the canvas) you will be able to insert a "loop" in the course, and Condes will generate two course variations "AB" and "BA" that take the "wings" of the butterfly in opposite order.

Condes 9 does currently not support diamond variations. You can of course still create courses with diamonds. You would need to create two courses, one for each of the variations. Support for diamond variations is on the wish list, and I hope to be able to introduce support.

If needed, you can designate any control as a control with "map change", and Condes will let you print/export the course parts separately.

I hope this brief explanation is helpful. You are always welcome to contact me if you have further questions or comments.

Regards,
Finn
January 11, 2015 09:41PM
Many thanks!

I tried a little during the weekend and found the solution you described.

I seems fairly good so I'm satisfied with it.

Thanks again,
Johan
Re: Diamond
April 22, 2016 05:24PM
In order to add CONDES supporting diamond courses, I suggest you allow a normal course to have a "variation" inside, i.e. 2 different control sequences, which are randomly given to either runners.
Of course care needs to be taken in defining the two sequences, so that each of variations includes all (and the same) possible legs. But it works !
Regards
Cesare
Finn Arildsen
Re: Diamond
April 22, 2016 07:46PM
Hi Cesare,
Good point! Condes currently support simple butterfly loops, and diamond loops will come in due time. Your suggesting is exactly the temporary means to create forms of loops that are not yet specifically supported.

In order to do this, the course needs to be configured as a "Relay course with 2 legs", even if it will not be used for a relay. Then, the diamond is created by inserting a branch in the course, where each of the two branches has the same controls, though in different order.

So, branch A would have 31-32-33-34-31-35-33, and branch B would have 31-35-33-34-31-32-33 (in fact the starting 31 and ending 33 need not be part of the branch. See attached file for an example.

Regards,
Finn
Attachments:
open | download - diamond.PNG (3.1 KB)
June 14, 2016 11:17PM
How do I get loop-combinations on the control-description and/or on the rear of the map (I'm printing maps)?
Finn Arildsen
June 14, 2016 11:30PM
Hi Steffen

When you use loops (as opposed to relay forks), the variation code doesn't show automatically above the control descriptions. You can place a text object, using the "standard text" option, and select "relay variation". This shows the loop combination.

Unfortunately, it is currently not possible to show the loop combination code using the "text on reverse side of the map" featur, nor on the loose control descriptions.

By being a little bit creative, you can still place text on the reverse side of the map by placing them on the canvas so that the printout flows over multiple pages, and the text is placed so that it ends up on page 2. Use the Printout / Maps with courses menu option to print, and don't forget to uncheck the box that limits the printout to one page per course.

Regards,
Finn
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • No file can be larger than 2 MB
  • 5 more file(s) can be attached to this message

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator