Condes course setting
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Symbol file and new release

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Symbol file and new release
May 03, 2007 11:51AM
When installing a new release of Condes it asks if you want to overwrite the sample map and course files, but it doesn't mention the symbol file. If this has been customised then any changes will be lost.

Would it be possible for the installer to check if the symbol file has been modified, and offer to use or save it?
Finn Arildsen
Re: Symbol file and new release
May 03, 2007 03:50PM
Thanks for your feedback. It is correct that updating an existing Condes installation will overwrite the existing symbol file.

I'll see if it is possible for Condes 8 to let the installation check if the symbol file about to be overwritten is different from the one on the harddisk, and if this is the case, then let the user decide whether to overwrite or skip the file.

best regards,
Finn
June 01, 2007 08:46PM
Maybe merging would be a 3rd option.

JK
Finn Arildsen
June 01, 2007 10:43PM
I'm not really sure what you mean by merging.

regards,
Finn
Anna Nilsen
November 18, 2007 11:58AM
Alternatively, where are the symbols saved? Could we save a copy of that file elsewhere and then use it to overwrite the corresponding file in a new installation?
Anna
Finn Arildsen
November 24, 2007 01:10PM
The symbols are stored in the file WCONSYMS2004.DAT in the program file directory (usually C:\Programs\Condes)

The installation is set to "overwrite if existing is older by date". This means that the symbol file will only be installed if it is more recent than the file already on the disk.

I have contacted the company behind the installation program and proposed an option to ask before overwriting if the existing file is different than the one about to be installed. They have not readily accepted this request.

I am keeping this in mind for possible improvements.

best regards,
Finn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2007 01:15PM by finn.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator